The NCHRDU Advocacy program collaborates with other national organizations to promote legislative and policies that serve and protect HRDs and we seek policy and practice change in order to create a society in which HRDs are protected as they do their human rights work. In turn we rely on our members and partners to provide grassroots support, contacting their area Members of Parliament and making their voices heard at that level.
In our advocacy and networking program, we focus on the following areas:-
- Advocacy and Lobbying to ensure that government laws, policies and practices that support protection for HRDs rather than persecution of HRDs
- Thematic Working Groups to assess the protection needs for HRDs; assess and identify advocacy issues affecting HRDs belonging to different thematic groups.
- Research, Documentation and Dissemination for evidence based advocacy
- Networking, Partnerships and Collaboration to ensure that our partners, members, and stakeholders remain committed to a shared vision for an enabling working environment for HRDs in Uganda.
Being a coalition of members, NCHRD-U engages and coordinates members to contribute to most advocacy efforts. NCHRD-U understands the key in-put of Centers of Excellence in protection of HRDS and relies a lot on their direction and guidance in Advocacy efforts on HRD issues and engages its structure at regional and national level.
NCHRD-U participates at Regional and International level, through partnerships with members. NCHRD-U Co-convenes the HRD cluster on the Universal Periodic Review (UPR) with Human Rights Centre-Uganda (HRC-U) and East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Project (EHAHRDP) which submits a country situation report on the HRD situation to the United Nations Human Rights Council. NCHRD-U also engages with members to generate a Bi-Annual report on the situation of HRDs in Uganda for submission to the African Commission on Human Rights and People’s Rights (ACHPR)
In our Advocacy and Networking program, we have engaged in the following activities:-
- The 4th Annual Conference Defenders’ Days: Empowering Human Rights Defenders at Risk In Stockholm organized by Civil Rights Defenders held on the 4th April 2016
- Diplomatic Missions Engagement held on 10th October 2015
- The International Human Rights Defender Day held on the 9th December 2015
- 2015 NCHRD-U AGM with theme “Strengthening the National Coalition of Human Rights Defenders Uganda for sustainable protection program for HRDs in Uganda” held on the 27th November 2015
- Pre-AGM Thematic working group meeting held on the 26th November 2015
- The 4th Annual HRD Forum March 2016
- National Stakeholder’s Forum on the Universal Periodic Review Mechanism organised by Human Rights Network Uganda (HURINET-U). Sharing the Universal Periodic Review Road Map for the CSO Alternative report with stakeholders in November 2015
- The 5th Annual CSO Fair 2015 organized by NGO Forum held from 25th-26th June,2015 at Hotel Africana.
- The 3rd Annual HRD Forum organized by Human Rights Centre Uganda(HRC-U) from 10th-12th March,2015